Sunday, August 31, 2008

Here 'goes nothing!

So, do you ever have those days at work where you feel like you aren't quite sure what you're doing? I always feel a little bit that way on the first day of school. All of these little ones come traipsing into my room....some speak English, some don't...some have had a wealth of experiences in their lives already, while some have never gone outside of their neighborhood.... There is such a variety of families, countries, backgrounds, and experiences represented. That's when I take a big GULP! and think, "Oh man...I'm supposed to teach them all to read? do math? be socially and emotionally developed?" YIKES! Here in lies the miracle of teaching; with so many wonderful professionals in my building, we somehow go from having 25 little ones in September who aren't quite sure how to read and write, to 25 not-so-little ones in June who are reading and writing so fast I can hardly keep up! It happens every year, though sometimes I'm not sure how! My students will be the source of many postings and updates to come, as we get to know each other and learn together this school year. However, on the first day of school, I know the phrase running through my mind will be "Here 'goes nothing!" Followed by a little prayer for strength, patience, and a hope that the best is yet to come! :)

No comments: