Thursday, September 4, 2008

3 days down...

...177 to go! :) How shall I sum up the first week with the kiddos....hmmm.... I think I have the most culturally and racially diverse class that I've ever had! I was talking with someone and telling them about my kiddos, and they asked "Aren't you in the 'northern suburbs'?" Sort of, but things are changing! In my little class of 20, I have students from MN, Bosnia, Ukraine, Africa, Jerusalem, and Mexico. WOW! It has been so sweet to watch the kids help each other fumble through these first few days, often with more patience than I exhibit. (That's one area that I know I'm going to need to keep at the forefront of my prayers this school year!) Anyways, as I get to know these little ones, and meet their families, it is interesting to ponder how we all came to this point. Some just new to the country, others new to the school, some have been in the neighborhood for years, others struggling to communicate with me and yet I know they care so much about their child's education...and here we all are... Some of you know that there were times when I thought teaching at a different school this coming year HAD to be where God wanted me. But alas, as I look back with a little "hindsight" and perspective, I can begin to see now why I am at my school, with this special group of kids. It's not always going to be easy, but it's a good reminder that God's way is always going to be best. Maybe not my favorite all the time, but best. Anyways, here are a few highlights from the first week of First Grade to leave you with! Hopefully they make you smile (or roll your eyes)!

~several of my sweet English Language Learners began the morning in OTHER teachers' rooms because they couldn't find ours!
~we were making "hopes and dreams" for the school year, and one little guy told me that his dream was "to become a man".....WOW....not sure where THAT came from!
~"Who farted?!?" (there's one in every crowd!)
~"Teacher! Help! I have to pee SO BAD but I can't remember where the bathroom is!!" (Need I remind you that the bathroom is IN our classroom! hehe)
~getting hugs from each one of my kiddos as they leave for the day. That's really why we tough it out through some of the "rough patches", right?

No comments: